Sunday, September 1, 2013

Apple Picking

Since my mom is visiting this weekend, I thought it would be a nice time to drive up to Julian and go apple picking! We thought that we were going to a new orchard, since the old one had closed, but it turned out to just be new owners! I wasn't sure how I would feel about that, but the new owners seem to have really taken care of the orchard, and everything seemed taller, greener and bigger! The apples were beautiful and delicious! There were also some awesome new ways for carrying our apples that we got bring home with us! If you're looking for some apples, Volcan Valley Apple Farm is the place!




 The kids did a pretty good job picking, but mostly the ones that they wanted to eat! Mom and I did most of the picking for the ones we brought home.
 I tried to get a picture of the kids together, this was the best I could get.


 Then mom got a picture of the three of us. It was hard for the kids to stop eating long enough to smile!
 I managed to get the camera set up with the self timer, and we got a pretty good shot of all of us.
 I was so happy with size and taste of the apples, that I went back for another bucket!



 I ended up with two of these buckets, and when I told the owner that I wanted to make applesauce, he gave me a box of a different variety that he said made the best applesauce!!



 I was also happy to get to wear my most comfortable clothing and not have someone think it was a costume!
 After we finished picking, we went to the local brick oven pizza place for lunch! The kids were super excited!

 The food was delicious, locally grown, and even the sodas were brewed locally! Once we got home, I laid out all my apples!


 This basket is the ones for making applesauce that the wonderful owner gave me!
 Joli enjoyed eating the peels as my mom and I got the apples ready to make applesauce!
 It was fun to do, especially with some help! We just sat at the table, talking and peeling!

 The house smelled SO INCREDIBLE!!!! I kept saying that I wished there was a way to capture the smell on camera because it was just amazing! I kept feeling like I was at my Grandma Betty's!

 The kids said the applesauce turned out delicious and I completely agree!


We had so many, we had to make TWO batches!
 We have a TON of applesauce now, but I LOVE it!!
It was a very fun and delicious day!

No comments: