Friday, June 11, 2010

Markus' Birth Story

About a week before labor actually began, I started having "pre-labor" contractions, which are not any less uncomfortable than actual labor contractions, they just come and go every once in awhile. So after a week of spontaneous contractions, and trying every wives tale out there to get labor to really start going, I finally started having something somewhat consistent around midnight the morning of June 7, 2010. I didn't want to get my hopes up since I'd been contracting so much already and it was always false, so I tried to do some last minute cleaning and then went to bed. I slept off and on for a few hours, before finally believing it was the real thing around 4am. That was the point at which I called my midwife and she agreed that I should probably come in. So I woke up Kacie and she agreed to meet us at the Birth Center. Then I woke up Joe, who just about shot out of bed and was ready to walk out the door about two and a half minutes later! Since we still had a little time, we ate some breakfast and I had him put up the "Welcome Home Markus" sign that I had made. Then we woke up Joli and headed in. I wasn't super uncomfortable yet, but uncomfortable nonetheless.
Joli was very excited to be in action and wanted to help midwife Ashley in any way she could.
Ashley checked me and said that I was dilated to four centimeters. Things started picking up a little but not really too much, so Ashley sent Joe and I for a walk. Joli stayed at the Birth Center with Kacie and watched a Toy Story. Things started picking up a little more after our walk, but still not a lot.
Ashley checked me again and I was still only at six centimeters so she decided to break my water, which seemed to be the real kick off! Joe and I went for another walk and by the time we got back I couldn't tell where one contraction ended and another one began. This is the point where I was drifting in and out of sleep and only remember bits and pieces.
Joe was amazingly supportive and really did every thing he could to motivate and encourage me! I'm still so impressed and grateful for how wonderful he was throughout the entire process. It was so wonderful to feel his presence through each contraction.

As usual, my stomach failed me and I spent a lot of those last few hours throwing up. Every one was doing their best to keep my hydrated in hopes that I wouldn't need an IV. Kacie was also an amazing multi-tasker! She was running in and out checking on Joli, taking HUNDREDS of pictures, and even holding the puke bowl every now and again!
After a few hours I began to feel the urge to push and Ashley had me move into the birthing tub. Joli had been taking a nap and woke up just in time for Joe to go in get her. She wasn't too happy about seeing me in pain and decided that maybe she didn't want to see the baby come out after all.
Joli went back out to watch a movie and Joe came back to be my support once again. Although I was barely aware of anything that was going on, it was so nice to have him there!
Ashley checked me again and realized that although I was full on ready to push, I was still only dilated to seven centimeters. So she ended up having to stretch me those last few centimeters and the baby dropped right down! Nine minutes of intense pushing later, Markus was born!
Poor little guy was wrapped up in his umbilical cord and trying to get a good breath. As soon as nurse Felicity and Ashley were able to get him untangled, he began crying!

Joe and Ashely helped me out of the tub and to the bed where I went on to deliver the placenta. Joe cut the cord and Markus started nursing right away!! Ashley and Felicity gave Joe and I a couple hours to bond before checking Markus. He came away a very healthy report!
Although he was ten days early, Markus weighed seven pounds and four ounces, and was nineteen and a half inches long. He had an Apgar score of nine, just minutes after birth. Overall a healthy little baby!
After another couple hours I was ready to be home in my own bed so I got myself and my new bundle dressed and ready to go!

It was such an amazing and wonderful day!! I have now had two beautiful births and am so grateful for my two beautiful children!

2 comments:

kacie said...

Oh I remember the whole thing and you are one strong woman!!!! Great birth story... thanks for letting me be a part of it :) Thanks Joli too for being mellow enough that I could run back and forth!

Unknown said...

WOW!! So super cool! Thank you for sharing this wonderful event :)
Hope the "eviction notice" helped, LOL! It worked for my sis in law, too.