Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Temperment or Environment?

For years scientists have studied the idea of temperment vs. environment. Which has the most influence? Are children born the way they are, or do their parents mold them into who they will become? Well I'm here to say that fearlessness is heriditary, and that Joli was born with it! Every time we go to the beach she gets more daring and less aware that she is not, in fact, a fish, and therefore cannot breath under water. She runs through the sand, tossing it here and there. Once we get to the surf she studies it for awhile to see if it's safe.
Then as soon as her feet get wet she decides that salt water is a magical substance that can only be enjoyed if she is surrounded by it.
So I follow her out into the waves to make sure she is okay.
She hangs out with me for awhile longer, examining the water coming towards her.
Then she decides that the water is obviously okay, as it hasn't bit her yet, and starts going out as far as the waves will let her.
Now this is right before she realizes that just because the waves have gone out, it does not mean they will not come back in. Although I had brought her back in twice already, apparently she didn't get the memo about how mom's know best.
Sadly I have no picture of the next moment, as I was getting totally soaked by pulling my child out of the ocean. My friend was very impressed at how I remained calm when we saw Joli get plowed by a wave and then rolled three times by waves that followed. By that point I was right there and pulled her out. She was completely wet, but smiling and chatting about her experience. I wrapped her up in a towel and she cuddled up to me like a little monkey all the way back to the car. So all this to say that my child has certainly picked up a few things from her daddy. I only hope she doesn't also have the same experiences with jumping out of airplanes.

No comments: