Monday, May 7, 2007

On The Road Again

Well Joli and I made the big trip yesterday! We left L.A. at 4:30 a.m. and arrived at Laume's house at 4:30 p.m. It was quite a long drive. Joli slept until 7:00 when we stopped for gas. So after she had a little snack, we changed her cloths and she hung out in her car seat for awhile.

Joli fell back asleep while we drove all the way to Sacramento. Where we stopped for gas and had another snack. We got back on the road but and drove for ten minutes when she decided that since she had slept the entire time that she should be rewarded by being able to get out of her car seat for awhile. So after ten more minutes of screaming, we pulled into a Raley's parking lot and decided to go to the Starbucks. We hung out and played and talked to the locals for awhile. Then we walked down to Raley's and looked at the plants they had outside. I tried to plant one, but it had done enough growing for the day and wanted to be set free.

We finished up with some more snacking and got back into the car. We drove another hour or so until we hit snow. For me this is always cause for celebration. So we had to stop and play. Unfortunately my brain rejected the information that told me that snow is cold and t-shirts and flip-flops are not appropriate. So after I dug through the car to find us both jackets (never mind the flip-flop part) we ventured out into the cold wind. Now Joli has been in the snow before, but being three weeks old her brain did not store the information. So I put her in it...

Then pulled her back out and tried another approach.

Then we took a viewing from a distance approach.

At this point we decided that snow is more of a seasonal thing in which flip-flops should not be included in, and we should move on. We drove a few more hours as Joli slept. We then met a nice (and I use the term loosely) police officer, who was sure that I was going ten miles over the speed limit out in the middle of nowhere, where there are absolutely no people. I however disagreed because I was worried about this very situation and had been watching my speed (which was never more than five over). Unfortunately as he explained that I could contest it in court, my child awoke from her long awaited nap. So now my disagreeing turn into annoyance as I tried to entertain my child while the officer wrote my ticket. Finally he brought it to me and stopped talking so I could continue on my way. We finally arrived, which took much longer since I insisted on driving ten miles under the speed limit just be sure there would be no confusion. We were so happy to be out of the car that I almost forgot that I had only eaten string cheese and a granola bar all day. So we went out to eat and then relaxed until about 11:30 when we both passed out from exhaustion. No more driving!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember stopping in the snow between Redding and Reno once, in shorts and flip flops. I think it was Brianna who wasn't thrilled, but of course Lisa was! She's always the prepared one when comes to vacations. No matter how hot it is, she always packs jeans and a sweat shirt. That comes from spending summers in Oregon where you have to be prepared for anything!

Anonymous said...

lol... I love it.