Friday, August 21, 2009

Here's to Five Crazy Wonderful Years!!

Today was mine and Joe's 5th wedding anniversary! It's very hard to believe that we were married five years ago, yet so much has happened since then, it also seems like a lifetime ago.

Joe and I met in the pizza parlour where we both worked. He finally talked me into a date and after an incredible evening of endless talking I knew I would one day marry him. I went back to my best friend, Jessica's house and told her this, and she thought I was crazy. Four months later Joe told me he wanted to marry me and officially proposed five months after that. After living together and dating for almost a year and a half we were married. It was a beautiful and amazing wedding, one that we couldn't have dreamed to be better.

Six weeks later Joe went to boot camp, and since we had yet to spend even a night apart, at the time I thought it was the most difficult thing I would ever go through. The training continued after boot camp, but at least we could live together again, and I would be able to see him most nights. Then partway through training Joe shattered part of his spine while jumping out of airplanes. We were told he would have to be in a back brace for six months. We got home and settled in for a long recovery only to find out three weeks later that I was pregnant! Not only that, but apparently I was allergic to being pregnant because I proceeded to throw-up constantly for the next five months until I was eventually hospitalized and put on some intense medication to be able to hold down food. The rest of the pregnancy went smoothly and I had a wonderful, natural, drug-free birth. The day I brought Joli home from the hospital Joe had an accident while diving and it was later discovered that he had a tiny hole in his heart which they would have to perform surgery on. After having a heart procedure, Joe then continued on with training. Six months later he finally completed training and went on to do his job, and although I had been warned, I was still unprepared for the amount of time he would really be gone, and that was all before deployment!

This past year we made it through our first deployment and are still madly in love! I came home today to find a wonderful and unexpected gift!

We decided last week that since we hardly ever get to celebrate anniversaries, birthdays, and sometimes holidays together, that we would spend the night out just the two of us.
We went out to a wonderful and very delicious dinner overlooking the bay and the city. Then took a walk along the pier. It was so amazing and felt like we were dating again.
Afterwards we went and saw a movie that we had both wanted to see and celebrated the fact that it was the longest amount of time we had spent together without Joli since she was born! It was a fabulous night. Our relationship may always be crazy, but it's also beautiful and amazing, and I'm so looking forward to the rest of my life with my husband!

4 comments:

~Jess~ said...

Happy Anniversary! I'm soo happy for you both and proud of you 2 for spending some time alone. I remember what seems like forever ago when you and joe got together! Who knew it would lead to all of this! I'm so lucky to have been there from the very beginning. You both have grown so much as people and a couple and I couldn't be prouder to be your friend. I love you both and can't wait to see what the next 5 years will bring! Lots of hugs!
Jess

kacie said...

Happy Anniversary! What pretty flowers!!! Glad you got to have some time alone! Can't wait to see you tonight!!!

Laume said...

You both look very beautiful together, all dressed up and grown uppy. And wow, an entire post without a single photo of the curlie girl!!!
And what was that under the flowers - a pie? or a cookie?

Tonya Staab said...

Happy belated anniversary. You two look absolutely fantastic. So glad you enjoyed some time together.