Sunday, August 16, 2009

Taking Back Christmas

After many years of putting over a thousand miles on my car every Christmas in an effort to see all of mine and Joe's family, we have decided that this year we are staying home! It is always so wonderful to see our family and usually Christmas is the only time of year that we really get to see every one, but by the time we get home we've spent about 48 hours in the car, and that doesn't include stops! So we are going to decorate our house, and make hot chocolate, and start our own traditions. Since I was pregnant with Joli we've been going to the festival of lights in Balboa Park and the Christmas parade in Coronado. We've also made and effort to go to the beach in the month of December, because we live in San Diego and we can! When I was in high school I loved to buy the gingerbread house kit and make a beautiful gingerbread house, so I think this year we will do that! I also decided that since I'm the one working my butt off in the kitchen to make Christmas dinner that I'm going to make something that I love. So this year we are having Christmas lasagna, because we can!

If our family and friends want to spend Christmas with us, they are more then welcome... to spend Christmas with us. If they are looking for a vacation in the fabulous city of San Diego, I'm sure there is a whole list of websites that can direct them to all the fabulous places to stay while on their vacation. Our Christmas will be spent at home, relaxing and enjoying our time together. Doing things like baking cookies, putting up decorations, making gingerbread house, wrapping presents, or just enjoying a nice mug of apple cider.

This year we are taking back Christmas and making it our own. This year I will not be stressed out about fitting every thing in my car, driving in the snow, or making sure I see every one. This year I will stay home with my family, and cherish every moment that we are all together. Next year Joe will be deployed again, and I'm sure I'll be on the road again. But this year we will home together, and that's all I want for Christmas!


2 comments:

Allison said...

Cheers to that!! I know how that goes. That was my motto last year, as Corey is deployed right now. Im making the same arrangements for this year since he will just be getting home when the holiday season (which for us starts at Halloween) begins! Good luck with everything Lisa!!

Danielle said...

Being away from family and with Jer having a job that doens't allow "vacation" like the Navy does we have been in Arizona for the last few years. The first one with out family was the hardest but it turned out really great. We were able to start our own traditons incorperate some from both our families and have our "Own" family Christmas. In the end that's all the matters being with the man I love and my beautiful children! Good for you and Enjoy your loves!