Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Day Two - "The Statue of Liberty"

We woke up at 8a.m. on Thursday June 27th, and got ready to go see the Statue of Liberty! We were too excited to stay at the hotel to eat, so we started walking in the direction of our tour bus. After five or six blocks, we found the Starbucks! It was packed, as are most coffee shops in the city, but Joli managed to find a good spot to sit and wait for her breakfast.
 After we got our stuff, we headed upstairs to enjoy our food and people watch.
 I realized at this point that the sunscreen I put on the kids made them quite pasty.
 It was a nice, yummy breakfast.
 After we finished our breakfast, we walked the six or so more blocks to get on our bus! We were all super excited, especially since we were in Times Square! Yay!


 The buildings were just amazing! I was so incredibly fascinated by the awesome architecture!

 This is the point when you may be thinking "Wow, there are a lot of pictures of buildings", well you're just going to have to move on past that, because it's only the beginning!!!
 We all had headphones to hear our guide. Joli loved listening to all the cool facts, and since I couldn't wear my headphones and still hear the 85,000 things Markus needed to tell me, Joli reiterated everything that was said.


 Look at all the details!! I love it!
 All the rooftop gardens were just so cool, wish I could have wandered through them!

 This building is famous. Cannot for the life of me remember what it's famous for, but it's pretty cool!
 Markus loved pointing out all the buildings that have clocks on them. It was pretty neat.


 There were so many cool churches. Another thing I could have spent a lot more time experiencing!



 I'm not sure what the problem was, maybe his map wasn't folding right...???
 I was super entertained by this building!

 I was also fascinated by the water towers on most of the buildings, I wonder how many of them are still being used?

 Here was one of the parks we drove past, they were really pretty!
 This building was so cool with the archway underneath!

 The kids thought this building was with it's crazy waves was so cool. So did I!



 We were almost to the harbor!
 We went by the coolest church and cemetery. I totally have to go back and see it someday!

 We made it to Battery Park, and after a short walk, we were on the boat to the Statue of Liberty!

 There weren't too many people on the boat, so the kids had a good time playing when there was nothing to look at.



 This was the original train station apparently! It's no longer used, but so beautiful!
 I would have loved to explore Ellis Island. I probably could have spent an entire day reading all the history! Another thing to go back and see!


 Then we came up on the Statue!! The kids were jumping up and down so happy!




It was very beautiful, and the kids just loved seeing it. They cried when the boat started to head back. It's so wonderful to have kids that enjoy seeing things as much as I do!

1 comment:

:-D eirdre said...

Great Tour Lisa! The building you couldn't remember the name of is The Flatiron http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatiron_Building